What to Consider When Selecting an Alcohol Treatment Facility
Alcohol treatment is one of the costly experiences one can go through as a result of addiction. The increasing number of alcoholism victims over the recent years has encouraged the establishment of many treatment institutions by the government and private investors. Alcoholism has many impacts on individuals, families, and the country in general. A lot of money is spent globally treating alcohol-related complications such as liver cirrhosis. The money would otherwise be put to constructive use to improve the living standards of families. Additionally, the country’s economic status could be at stake due to unproductivity caused by excessive alcohol consumption.
Why You Might Need an Alcohol Treatment Facility
Reversing an alcohol addiction is a challenging experience. Victims need constant attention and counseling to prevent failure of the treatment process or relapsing after treatment. Here are some reasons you should consider a treatment facility over home-based treatment:
- Specialized care-Alcohol treatment requires close care and attention. Withdrawal symptoms associated with reducing alcohol consumption could lead to loss of life if not taken care of. At treatment facilities, patients are handled by well-trained physicians for efficient recovery. Physicians in alcohol treatment facilities have the knowledge and skills to handle withdrawal symptoms that might arise. Additionally, they are knowledgeable in terms of dosage when the treatment process involves administering medicine.
- Moral support-Being in a treatment facility allows patients to interact with each other while undergoing treatment. Being around people battling the same problem gives patients a sense of belonging. In such an environment, they understand that they are not alone in their fight. Patients within treatment facilities can form support groups where they exchange ideas and discuss their journey to recovery. These discussions make it possible to identify the cause of alcoholism for a speedy recovery. In most cases, the support group discussions are conducted with guidance from an expert.
- Total recovery-Many alcoholism patients fail treatment or relapse due to exposure to environments that encourage drinking. Alcohol treatment facilities provide a safe environment with minimal or no access to alcohol for patients. The absence of aspects that could trigger the urge to drink facilitates a speedy recovery for patients. Alternatives to alcohol are readily available within treatment facilities. Drink substitution under supervision by physicians encourages full recovery without the risk of subsequent addiction. For recovering alcoholics, the amount consumed is gradually reduced to a point where one’s body can function without alcohol.
Despite the benefits of alcohol treatment facilities, there are several challenges that one should consider. Going to such facilities should be a mutual agreement between the affected parties and the institution. Forceful detention of patients in such centers could lead to depression and resentment. Additionally, not all treatment facilities guarantee full recovery. Complacent physicians and staff within the facility could allow unrestricted axes to alcohol and other substances. While patients are in these treatment facilities, visits by their loved ones are encouraged. Speedy recovery is achieved when patients know their families and friends are with them in their treatment process.
What Makes A Good Alcohol Treatment Facility?
Various factors describe a good alcohol treatment facility. These factors determine how well and how fast a patient will recover. They include:
- Treatment equipment-How invested an alcohol treatment facility is tells the quality of services patients receive. A treatment facility should have the right equipment to deal with different withdrawal effects that could arise during treatment. Such equipment includes medical tools that could be used to administer medical treatment when needed. The treatment facility should also have sufficient equipment to monitor the patients’ progress. This allows easy planning of future treatment if methods need to change. Entertainment equipment in a treatment facility distracts patients from their problems. This ensures their mental health is kept in check throughout the treatment.
- Availability of skilled staff-The treatment one receives in a facility depends on the staff available. Alcohol treatment facilities have different departments that require skilled personnel. These include counseling and medical departments. Counselors in treatment facilities keep the mental health of patients in check for a full recovery. Counselors should have adequate knowledge and skills to detect changes in the behavior of patients and find the cause. Alcohol withdrawal effects could be associated with behavioral changes that, when not addressed, can be detrimental.
- Location of the facility-Location is an essential consideration for alcohol treatment facilities. The treatment is mainly a mental process; therefore, the facility should be located in a place that encourages peace of mind. Alcohol treatment facilities should be located in areas far from alcohol distributors or breweries. Making alcohol as unavailable as possible encourages independence. In most cases, facilities are located away from urban centers to avoid the chances of alcohol being smuggled to patients. Securing the facility eliminates unauthorized in-and-out movements that could facilitate access to alcohol. The facility should also be close to the families of patients. This makes it easy for patients to be seen by their loved ones whenever need be.
- Cost of treatment-The alcohol treatment facility you choose should be affordable depending on your financial status. Although some facilities offer quality treatment, they charge exorbitant rates that could lead to financial constraints. The amount you spend on treatment should be governed by the extent of alcoholism and the treatment method involved. In most cases, medical treatment for alcoholism is the most expensive, although they offer fast recovery. Financial planning is essential when considering treatment in a facility. Lack of funds could lead to abandoning the treatment process. This increases the chances of relapsing for patients in their final stages of recovery.
Other factors to consider when selecting a treatment facility for alcoholism include personal preferences and cultural differences. However, these factors do not directly impact the quality of treatment a patient might receive. In cases where one doesn’t have adequate funds to finance treatment, they can ask for financial assistance from concerned organizations. The government also offers subsidized treatment through public treatment facilities. Although alcohol manufacturing and distribution is a key industry in generating national revenue, it has detrimental impacts that should be addressed. Availability of adequate and accurate information about alcohol to the public reduces excessive consumption.