The Coronavirus disease or the COVID-19 is an infectious disease that is caused by a newly discovered virus and has infected over 31.1 million people across the world. The quick spread of this infection across the world has made it a global pandemic of unprecedented proportions. About 213 countries of the world were affected by the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus. Most of these countries started to go under lockdown and imposed quarantine restrictions as healthcare systems struggled to deal with the rapidly rising number of infections. By mid-September 2020, the number of deaths across the world has crossed about 926,000.
The COVID-19 infection causes flu and pneumonia-like symptoms such as cough, sore throat, nasal congestion, runny nose, fever, difficulty in breathing, aches and pains. It also causes diarrhoea and/or loss of smell/taste.
How to stop the spread of COVID-19?
- One of the best ways to arrest the spread of the COVID-19 is by restricting activities to the very essentials. Work from home, take online classes, and avoid public transport as far as possible. Avoid parties, clubs, malls, cinema halls etc.
- Maintain social distancing. If you are back at work or attending school/college, it is important to maintain safe distance. Most supermarkets, grocery shops, pharmacies etc. now have marks indicating 2 feet distance. Try to undertake cashless transactions and get essentials home delivered as far as possible. Avoid handshakes and physical contact wherever possible.
- Whenever you have to step out of home, it is imperative that you wear a mask that covers your nose and mouth. It is also advisable to wear disposable gloves if your work involves handling cash or goods. It is just as important to learn safe disposal protocols for masks, gloves, other safety gear after use.
- It is important that you and your family members follow safety practices. Wash your hands several times a day with soap water for at least 20 seconds. This must be done after you sneeze or after you touch money or a public surface. If handwashing is not possible it is essential that you use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- To stop the spread of COVID-19 it is important to regularly clean surfaces which are touched regularly such as doorknobs, calling bells, elevator buttons, handrails etc. These can be cleaned with disinfectant sprays available in the market.
- Most of us do not share personal articles of use such as clothes, towels, and soaps. This segregation must be maintained. It is further important to clean medical devices such as inhalers. The Philips CPAP Machine’s cost in India makes it affordable to buy and use at home. Avoid sharing the CPAP machine and inhalers.
- If you think you may be infected with the COVID-19 coronavirus it is important to isolate yourself and monitor your symptoms. Use a pulse oximeter and other medical devices by reputed brands such as Ethicon. Consult a doctor online if you find the symptoms worsening. Make an appointment and inform the doctor before you visit.
It is vital for everyone to continue taking the precautions and maintain social distancing as we fight this novel virus. Do not forget to use face masks and sanitise yourself whenever you step out.